If you question the need to work out because you think your too old for it, you should rethink that conclusion. Older adults must stay physically active for a host of reasons to include (but not limited to) balance, to prevent mental decline, muscle maintenance, and other ailments that result from a sedentary lifestyle. Here are five specific reasons why daily fitness directly benefits senior adults:
- Boosts Cardiovascular Health - Working out can help improve blood pressure to hypertensive people
- Relieves Arthritis - It help enhances bone joint function and reduces bone pain
- Improves Strength and Balance - Inactivity is in fact the culprit behind weakness and loss of balance. Working out can help restore strength and equilibrium.
- Keeps Independence - With an improved overall health, older adults can manage to do things on their own with lesser help.
- Boosts Mental Functioning - Exercise promotes normal brain functioning. This helps delay mental decline or prevents developing dementia.
At least 20-30 minutes moderate aerobic activity daily is recommended to senior adults to keep them physically and mentally active.
For seniors who want to develop a fitness regimen, contact Salem Fitness Center. We can provide you safe workouts that you can perform daily.
Go back to Main Blog